Updating 70" Gen 2 FW when panel will not boot up
NOTE: Do not attempt the steps listed below unless recommended to do so by Recordex technical support.
If the panel will not boot and is stuck on the Recordex boot screen with Recordex logo then try the following:
1) Hard power cycle the panel using the power rocker switch next to the power cable. This will sometimes reset panel and fix this issue.
2) If that does not work then the next step is to force a fw update on the panel. Since the panel will not boot up normally the fw update will need to be forced by using the control buttons on the front of the panel. Follow the steps below to update the FW.
Force update of FW
- Download the FW for the Gen2 70" Panel here: http://recordexusa.com/st700training/resources/st-700-fw-012916.zip
- Unzip the fw archive and copy the file mstarupgrade.bin to the root of a USB flash drive. (Note: the mstarupgrade.bin file can not be located in a folder or the process will fail, it must be in the root of the USB drive, i.e. H:\mstarupgrade.bin is okay but H:\FW\Mstarupgrade.bin is not okay)
- While you are at it you will want to download the APKs that will be needed to reinstall the default applications on the panel since they will be wiped when the fw is updated. The APKs can be downloaded here: http://recordexusa.com/st700training/resources/st-700-apks-012916.zip The APKs should be copied to the same USB drive. It is okay if the APKs are contained in a folder.
- Insert the USB flash drive you prepared into the side USB 2.0 port located on the right side of the panel.
- Next, you will need to hard power off the panel using the rocker switch next to the power cable.
- Next, you will need to press the volume up (vol+) button on the front of the panel. Keep the vol+ button held down (do not release the button). While the vol+ button is held down you will turn on the panel using the rocker switch next to power cable, while you do this you need to keep the vol+ button held down. Keep the vol+ button held down for 5 seconds after the panel has been powered on. Then release the vol+ button. The power LED should start to flash red and blue indicating that the fw is being loaded from the USB drive.
- Leave the panel alone while the FW is loading. Do not power it off. After FW is loaded it will reboot and if the process is successful the panel should complete the boot process.
- If the panel completes the boot process then press the Home button on front of panel to go to Home screen.
- Then press Applications icon.
- Then select APK Installer application.
- Then select Install All to install the applications that you placed on the prepared USB drive. The APKs will install and the panel should be back to normal operation.
Note: If nothing seemed to happen during step 6 then try repeating step 6 a couple of times.
If this process does not restore the panel then it will need to be replaced.